Monday, September 12, 2011

Worst Church Day Ever

Okay, so yesterday was by far the worst church with kids experience I have yet to have as a parent. We have 1pm church, and both my kids still take daily naps. They are just not nice when they don't, which explains a lot... During sacrament meeting (the big meeting with adults and kids) EmmaJane had to get taken out for being irreverent. This never happens or hasn't in atleast 2 years. While she is out. Cj is just plain awful--bouncing all over the place, being loud, making June cry. Meanwhile, June is fussy and I am trying to feed her a bottle, that she won't take, and try giving her her paci. By the way, this is when the Stake President who was visiting our ward was trying to speak on overcoming a death in the family, especially when you lose kids. So, deep stuff which was applicable since we had a 20 something girl die in our ward and other tragedies. Anyway, I finally decide to take CJ out because we are distracting everyone in a 15-20 ft diameter. When I tell him we are leaving, he screams "Nooooooo" and starts crying hysterically loud...which also makes June start to cry. He goes limp as I am trying to get him out of the meeting, so I have to literally pull him out of room...the whole time crying like crazy!

I get out and hand June to Carl. CJ was still screaming, so I took him to the bathroom to calm down. He is still screaming. I could not get him to calm down, so I could talk to him. I later found out that they could still hear him from their meeting. I decide to take him outside. He thinks he is really going to get in trouble, and decides to scream/cry even louder. Finally, after five minutes I get him to calm down. Now, I want to cry.

The meeting is over, and we go back in to get our stuff. I over hear some girls talk about how they wish people wouldn't bring their kids to church when they are crying. Me too! :) Everyone is giving me that look of "Man, you have your hands full." I love that look. :) Everyone heard him. I didn't loose my cool with CJ, but man I was embarassed. We had really disrupted the meeting.

I keep CJ with me, and we go to hear EmmaJane give the scripture for opening exercises at primary. After, I tell her to come with me b/c at this point Carl has to go to Salt Lake, to catch a plane to San Fransico to work at a conference this week for Intel, and the kids wanted to say goodbye one last time before he leaves. At this point, now EmmaJane starts balling VERY LOUDLY saying "I don't want daddy to go." Me neither sister! I quickly rush her out of room, then out of the building b/c she was uncontrollably crying very, very loudly.

At this point, I told Carl we are taking them home. We have disrupted every meeting thus far, and our kids just need a nap. And, they can say goodbye to him at home.

Man, was that rough. I still don't think I have emotionally recovered from that. Now June is sick. I waited to see a dr this morning for 2 1/2 hours--someone came in needing stitches and messed up the whole schedule. And, after the first hour of being there, all the kids had had it. I had had it too! :)

Now, everyone needs to take a nap to start the day over! Especially me since June woke up 6 times last night b/c she couldn't breathe, and then, the older kids woke up at 6:30am and woke her up. :) I think I am supposed to be learning patience. :)

10 comments:

rozanny said...

Oh I'm sorry! If it makes you feel any better, I didn't notice your kids causing trouble at church since I was too busy trying to get my own kids to sit still. We've been having a worse time with Ada on that one... I don't know if she's growing or what but I just can't get her to quitely do anything... Sorry about Carl too... honestly I can take kids if you need a nap! AND DON'T SAY IT'S TOO MUCH FOR ME! It's not. I used to babysit 5 kids 3 and under 5 days a week... and I watched my brothers twins and Ada many times from the time they were born until now... I can corral kids without letting them get hurt. Please, just call!

brookeisacrazylady said...

hang in there. you aren't supposed to learn patience you need to be meaner....the best moms are mean ones.

i have yet to last all the way through sacrament meeting even though prided myself on it when i had three kids...i have no more room for pride...all the rules i have for myself i am constantly breaking so learn from me and make none.

and i guarantee you it sounds much much louder as the parent than the person listening. i promise that and wish someone would have told me sooner. everyone had little kids at one point so they understand.

and at least carl isn't in the bishopric...you should talk to linds she is the pro at that.

hang in there, it will get easier. its the baby stage that throws everyone. we have 1 pm church too. i put paisley down at 11 since she gets up so early but have tried a few other things.

worst case just bring lollipops and m & ms to church like i do :) and gum...who cares if they swallow 4 pieces :)

brookeisacrazylady said...

hey and know you are in good company :) church is nuts 99 percent of the time

bro said...

yeah well other people can bite it and to me crying kids are like smoke-smell, where else do you want it to be? i'm like Church is work, and if you need a break by all means, but don't worry about disturbing other folks if you are trying and think it a good idea to be there.

Grossarths said...

Oh, you've gotta love those days. Glad that I'm not the only one.

Lindsey said...

2 1/2 hours at the doctors! Dang, that is awful. Sometimes I think--maybe I should just start in the hall at church because I end up there anyway. Sorry, that is no fun. Some older parents reminded me in my ward that even though it is not fun for us to take kids sometimes, they will always remember that we took them, so it is worth it. xoxo

Kira =] said...

I agree with your siblings! It's totally normal and seems worse to us since we are the parent. sorry it was such a stressful experience. i remember feeling like it wasn't worth it since I wasn't getting anything from church and always in the hallway or mothers lounge. But I know we are blessed when we try our best especially when it seems hopeless.

Would early naps work/help?

Courtney said...

Thanks everyone. Please don't be concerned about me "going" to church. That is a given. I was just trying to share b/c I know we all have hard Sundays. Early naps don't work for me though. My kids are too old. It was just a really bad day. Thanks though for the help!

Carl said...

I love church! I just tune them out the whole time until someone else starts to jump in and help our kids, and then I spring into action.

Although Sunday was pretty bad, I would say for the most part the kids are pretty good at church. Court has a solid routine down with them. Write your name, read the ensign. We've tried fewer toys, snacks which ends up working better for them. To me, after church (4-5pm) is the worst because we're trying to prep/eat dinner and the kids are ready for bed and going crazy.

Michelle said...

Aw, Courtney! If I had a nickel... ;) Claire has decided that she hates sacrament meeting, too. Hugs!