Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Sweet Home Alabama...

Although this will probably make Courtney sad, I want to document at least one of our lasts here in Birmingham (more so the South). I just got back from my last trip to Dothan and on the way back we passed a bunch of things I'll really miss. The South has been the best experience and I hope we make it back someday. Here's some pics from the trips and some of the things we'll miss about our home.
I'm glad I was in the news while I was here. I learned more about the state's history and cool places in a short period of time than I could have any other way. This state has more history than anybody could ever imagine.
The South is where Emma Jane learned to swim. And Nana's new pool is one of our favorite places to go swimming.
Lake Eufala: I can't say enough good things about this peaceful place and the Grantham's home there. So many good memories.
Nana's place was fun anytime, but we especially loved her guests, which usually included family.
Our kids have grown up so much in the South. I hope they take a piece of it with them.
We saw this sign on every trip to and from Dothan. We will miss the religious-minded South. It made people so friendly and easy to be around.
Don't figure I'll be seeing many of these in Utah. I'm going to miss the culture, the way they speak and hearing yes ma'am and yessir all the time.
I don't know what Court and I will do without a Jim n Nicks BarBQ. She'll miss the coconut creme pie. I'll miss the muffins. We'll both miss the spuds.
Is it wrong that so many of these pictures are of food? I could eat wings with original sauce from Things-n-Wings in Dothan every day and not get tired of it. And our kids may not ever be the same without those corn nuggets. Nana, I'm already researching a way to have them shipped.
The last thing we did in Dothan was the first thing I did when we got there. Eat at Mikata. My favorite Japanese steakhouse and best fried rice I have ever eaten.

4 comments:

brookeisacrazylady said...

booo hooo for me too

Leslie said...

Alabama really seems great, but I'm happy you're moving closer! Come to Moab anytime!

Young Baldwin said...

I see no reason to stalk your blog anymore so this is me saying I read your blog...

longnecker said...

The South will miss you guys. Are you already in Utah? So sad, we think of you guys all the time - keep us posted with all your new adventures. And we will eat the BBQ - you eat the Cafe Rio for us!